Monday 3 March 2008

Whizz Kidz again

Spent another day at Whizz Kidz. The team are really getting used to my presence & while the work is basic & very low level - it remains very satisfying. A little girl Zuma - was eating all kinds of foliage & I had to tell the principal that this could be quite dangerous in the long term. So hopefully now she will have a bit more supervision at play time.

I have had lots of ideas about future networks & potential projects. Perhaps I am being a little naive or over ambitious - but surely with the expertise we have in the UK - if a sponsor could be found - some staff could come over & get valuable experience which would be so beneficial for the children who use the centre. So if anyone for any special schools find themselves reading this - maybe you could offer a placement or think of other ways that you could help?

No surprises again from Sarah - who spoaked up all I could say with such enthusiasm. When I was there last week - I left her some basic handouts that I have for staff training. Today she found me & made a point of asking what each section meant. And it wouldn't surprise me if she translated it from english to Zulu for her clooegues whose English is not as good as hers?

I spent quite a it of time today with Cameron - the little boy who recently had a brain operation & who is struggling to regain his language & whose family can not afford Specch Therapy. I soon discovered just what potential that little boy has. A half an hour one to one - getting his to name objects etc & he was so please with himself.

There is just so much that could be achieved there. Not possible in a month though?

Had some contact with Downs Syndrome Association Soutrh Africa & will be attending a gebetics clinic with them during my last week here. So much to do & so little time?

Until next week.

Kate

No comments: