Friday 7 March 2008

The Bush Experience







The drive to the Safari was fine. Though driving through tribal areas was fascinating. I had the most relaxing & truly beautiful few days in the bush. The place I went did horse back trails so having rediscovered the little girl in me who just wants to ride all the time – I couldn't’t resist. It is difficult to describe what it feels like to be going through deep bush land – in an American style saddle & being so close to nature. About 30 minutes in – we turned the corner & there was a family of giraffes. I really expected then to spook & run away. But as the horses are also loose to roam the reserve when they are not being ridden – the giraffes are used to them & apart from an initial cautious look – they hardly moved. After about 10 minutes of standing beside these majestic creatures - we dismounted our horses – let them graze while we had some water & chocolate & sat on the grass about 20 foot from the giraffes. From time to time one of them would get a little curious & step slightly nearer to us. They were breathtaking & it was a beautiful experience.

Sailing down the river - drinking Sherry (of all things) & eating Biltong was something else.
And watching a crocodile flip out from the swampland close to my lodge at 5am was quite a thing to see. The accommodation was good but most of all it was the total silence & pitch blackness at night that dictated complete relaxation.

And now I am back in Umdloti & the remaining 2 weeks are going to be really busy with work. Next week I am with the University of KwaZulu-Natal all week including Saturday. I am facilitating a seminar on Saturday & thankfully I am still not ready for it. I have prepared my lecture notes – disregarded then & prepared then again more times than enough since I got here. Teaching doesn’t usually faze me – but I have managed to get in a bit of a tizzy about this one? The rest of the week – Charlotte from the University has arranged a timetable for me to meet various professionals & visit different services. I am not sure if she is coming with me on all the visits – so I may be given an address & a map & told that someone is expecting me at a certain time!! Still – I haven’t done too bad so far at finding my way around – so hopefully I will be fine. Oh & Charlotte wants me to joint write a paper with her on the differing service configuration in the UK & South Africa. Wow.

The work with the Downs Syndrome South Africa Association is the following week. As it transpires – the availability I had left when they eventually called me – wasn’t good for them bar one day – so I am helping the outreach worker do a genetics clinic in a big local hospital. I am not sure quite what I can offer – but I am looking forward to it anyway. And given that I have a couple of spare days – I plan to return to Whizz Kidz. I could happily have spent the entire month there & even by day two – the welcome I got from the staff & the children was fantastic.

Where does the time go? This day in two weeks time – I will be leaving & I can hardly believe it. Already I am reflecting on the experience so far – but will write more about that when I have got my mishmash of ideas straight in my head & had different experiences over the remaining fortnight.

I plan to do a more reading & preparation for the teaching over the weekend – perhaps do a little sightseeing & maybe even watch a rugby match on Saturday? When in Rome?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
It's great to follow your adventure, glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Bonamazi, it is such a relaxing place. Another MUST DO in between your hectic schedule is the Mangwanani Spa at Sybia, it is a piece of heaven on earth, you will leave it totally revitalised..... take some time out for total relaxation, it'll set you up for the University seminars.
Ps give my regards to Gav Terri, Steve & Nita
Love Lynne

greekfreak said...

Hiya
have had to reset my password every time I use this site, pain in the arse!!
The horseback safari sounded wonderful, did you see any cheata's this time?What's biltong, dried meat?cant imagine you chewing on that somehow!I'm sure your seminar will be great and dont worry about your notes, as soon as you start talking about things you believe in it just flows,you'll be fine,trust me I'm a nurse.Feels like you've been gone months not weeks, miss our little chats [rants]about life, the world and new shoes!Clo and me off on our jolly's on tuesday so may not catch up with you this week, definately not taking the laptop, Clo intends to sunbathe for england and I've packed 8 books.Have a great time back at whiz kids and good luck at the genetic's clinic, bloody nora!Take care now xx